The Practicum in Health Science is designed to give students a practical application of previously studied knowledge and skills. This class is designed to follow in sequence for students who are interested in the field of healthcare and want to pursue a healthcare job. This course offers the opportunity to integrate, apply and be exposed to professions in a variety of settings. The clinical rotation portion of the class is observation based with some hands on experience occurring in the classroom.
Prerequisite & Recommendations:
Prerequisite: Principles of Health Science, Medical Terminology (If taken prior to 2017-18), Biology, Health Science Clinical, Health Science Theory (If taken after 2017-18)
Offered at Technology, Exploration and Career Center - West (TECC-W) Only
- A valid social security number (hospitals and outpatient centers will not take students without a number)
- Valid Driver’s license
- Pass a Background Check Free from felony convictions
-Transportation to and from the rotation sites (busses are not provided)
- Current and Full immunizations including: Current Season Influenza, Yearly Tuberculosis Screening, Hepatitis B Series and all required childhood immunizations (MMR, Varicella, TDap) with written proof from physician or county health offices due first day of class.
- A Negative Drug Screen Test
- The ability to work in an environment with blood, bodily fluids, possible nudity and disease and possible death.
- $150.00 for class supplies.
- Purchase of Scrubs, appropriate shoe-gear, name tag, immunizations and transportation are the student’s responsibility.