Calculus AB Advanced Placement Virtual is an online class taught through LISD's Virtual Learning Academy. Please read through the entire description. Calculus (AB) Advanced Placement is the study of introductory differential and integral calculus. Participation in the Advanced Placement examination for a possibility of 3 hours college credit is advised. Graphing technology will be utilized in this course. While instruction and content are delivered over the internet, students do have opportunities to meet with their instructor for personalized instruction using video conferencing and periodic face to face by appointment. Flexibility of the course allows for inside and outside the school day scheduling. If taken inside the school day, students have the option to schedule the course during their 1st, 3rd, or 4th periods. Students do not have to be physically present on campus to take an online course. While there is flexibility in the time of day you work on your classes, they are NOT self-paced. Visit the VLA website to learn more about virtual learning opportunities in LISD: http://vla.lisd.net
Prerequisite & Recommendations:
Prerequisite: Precalculus or AP Precalculus
Other Information:Offered online via the LISD Virtual Learning Academy (VLA)
Why Calculus AB B AP - Virtual Learning?
- Satisfies 3rd or 4th math for FHSP + Endorsement
- May be beneficial in admissions process or scholarship opportunities, particularly at more competitive universities
- Calculus coursework is generally required for science, engineering, business, and mathematics majors
- Students who successfully complete the course and exam may receive credit, advanced placement or both for a one- or two-semester college calculus course
Who should consider taking Calculus AB B AP - Virtual Learning?
- Completing STEM or non-STEM DLA endorsement path:
- Want advanced mathematics coursework to support college/career plans in STEM or Business & Industry
- Want to complete studies equivalent to a one or two semester, college course in calculus
- Want opportunity to potentially earn college credit and/or advanced placement through AP exam
- Want coursework to be competitive in admissions process or scholarship opportunities