HONORS courses will offer an additional layer of depth and complexity applied to the standard core content alongside the high expectations and authentic learning experiences found in all LISD courses. Depth and complexity applied to the standard curriculum offers rich learning experiences for students interested in taking on the challenge of advanced coursework. In Precalculus, students systematically work with functions and their multiple representations. The study of Precalculus deepens students` mathematical understanding and fluency with Algebra and Trigonometry and extends their ability to make connections and apply concepts and procedures at higher levels. Graphing technology will be utilized in this course. Enrollment in designated GT courses will be limited to students who formally qualified for Gifted and Talented Services in LISD. If a GT course does not meet minimum enrollment requirements, it may need to be combined with the Honors/AP course offering. This course is waived for UIL eligibility.
Prerequisite & Recommendations:
Prerequisite: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2
Why Precalculus GT Honors?
- Satisfies 3rd or 4th math for FHSP + Endorsement
- May be beneficial in admissions process, particularly at more competitive universities
- Foundation for more advanced mathematics in STEM and Business & Industry coursework such as Calculus
Who should consider taking Precalculus GT Honors?
- Completing STEM or non-STEM DLA endorsement path:
- Want advanced mathematics coursework to support college/career plans in STEM or Business & Industry
- Want coursework to be competitive in admissions process