Precalculus is the preparation for Calculus. Students systematically work with functions and their multiple representations. The study of Precalculus deepens students` mathematical understanding and fluency with Algebra and Trigonometry and extends their ability to make connections and apply concepts and procedures at higher levels. Students are encouraged to have a graphing calculator TI-83/TI- 84 (or equivalent). This course is waived for UIL eligibility.
Prerequisite & Recommendations:
Prerequisite: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2
- Satisfies 3rd or 4th math for FHSP + Endorsement
- May be beneficial in admissions process, particularly at more competitive universities
- Foundation for more advanced mathematics in STEM and Business & Industry coursework such as Calculus
Who should consider taking Precalculus?
- Completing STEM or non-STEM DLA endorsement path:
- Want advanced mathematics coursework to support college/career plans in STEM or Business & Industry
- Want coursework to be competitive in admissions process